Saturday, June 04, 2005

Adventures in Paradise

It's been quite a while since either Liz or I have flown commercially, at least not since September 11, so I was interested in the new security measures at the airport. Tip dropped us off at T2 terminal at Sydney and we checked in. My leg is giving me curry so I casually ask if we can have a seat with some extra leg room if possible and the helpful lass at the Virgin Blue counter says she'll give us somewhere up the front of the aircraft. Oh well, 3 hours in a cramped seat will have to be endured I guess. Security is tight and I have to remove my belt and practically my jocks before they are satisfied.

A quick snack and then the boarding call so we join the queue and end up in second row back from the front. No window seat but them's the breaks. Soon after take-off though, one of the bright cabin attendants comes up and suggests we move to the seats over the wing where there is plenty of leg room! We didn't ask onboard and there was no indication that my request at checkin was even acknowledged. A BIG plus for Virgin Blue! The cabin crew were great, bright, friendly and none of the bullshit theatrics of Qantas crew as I remember them.

A wonderful flight too.. watching the sunset above the clouds at 41,000 feet was magical. I'm sold on Virgin Blue... as if I needed any convincing that Qantas had gone sour years ago.

No comments: