Sunday, November 05, 2006

Best Pizza in the Mountains?

So ok, by now you reckon I am a food nut. Well I can't argue that I do like food and in fact one of the first jobs I had even before I left school was learning cookery at Zachary's Restaurant up at Terry Hills. I even started working at Qantas Flight Catering when I left school but the low pay and production line style of cooking left me cold. I did however enjoy the Lobster Thermidore or Lobster Newburg we would have on freshly baked bread rolls for morning tea, sitting in the flight deck of a 707. Those were the days before jumbo jets and all the airport security. Anyway, I digress...

Another favourite is a good pizza and fortunately after trying many of the pizza joints around Penrith and the lower Blue Mountains I found Monte's Pizzeria at Blaxland... (15A Great Western Highway Blaxland, just next to the Glenbrook Hotel 02 4739 6969)


Nick and son Joel run this award winning pizzeria which has been featured in the SMH Good Food Guide and has a loyal local following. They will do your traditional pizzas but you can also get one from their popular Tropical Gormet Menu. Islander Special and Reef-N-Fruit are sure to please as are any of the standard pizzas ... my favourite is Monte's Special with the lot but not a word to my Cardiologist!

These guys are the real deal and their pizzas are sensational but as always, it's the people who make it special and Joel and Nick are friendly and always pleasant ... just plain good blokes!

No comments: