Saturday, November 11, 2006

Is That It?

I do enjoy a good joke or funny story and indeed I've been known in days past to dish up a couple of hours worth of rib-ticklers from blonde to blue. Indeed as a young bloke 30 years ago I had few peers when it came to joke telling and that's no idle boast even if I do say so myself. However the years have not been kind, memory loss as you get older is real folks, and these days I almost need a secretary to take notes and remind me of the best funnies.

And there are few stand up comics who can get my attention, I've heard them all before and it seems to me that most of the so-called new breed of comedians rely totally on embarassing toilet and anatomical humour for most of their material. Not that there's anything wrong with that but they need to be told well and they don't need to be the main theme of the act.

Jerry Seinfeld, Ray Romano and Billy Crystal are three of the best live comedians these days I reckon and I've never really been impressed with Irish import Jimeoin who is big in Australia and I'm stuffed if I know why. I think it says more about the audience than the performer. Anyway, last night we went to Panthers to see Jimeoin Live.

Jim old mate, I know you are Irish but you've been here for a few years now and you really should ditch the mumbling Irish accent. For most of the 2 hour show I couldn't understand a word he said... he mumbled in some unintelligible cross between Irish Brogue and Aussie English and I could see others in the packed Evan Theatre were as underwhelmed as we were. The sight gags were ok but the whole show never really got going and although there were a few good laughs, it didn't rock the place at all. At the end of 2 hours I was asking, "Is that it?"

Jim's first outing in an Australian movie The Craig was a big letdown and unfortunately his latest live show wasn't any better.

But, Big Sis Wendy and Bro Nick were good company and it's always good to see them so it was a good night all the same.

No comments: